The Jaguar Mark II was first built in 1959 at their Coventry plant in the United Kingdom and launched as a mid-size luxury executive car. The Mark II was available with either a 2.4, 3.4 or 3.8 litre engine, with the later capable of accelerating from 0-60 mph in 8.5 seconds and a top speed of 125 mph.
The Mark II was designed to be an example of class, space and speed. Indeed the German driving team of Peter Lindner and Peter Nocker won the 1963 European Touring Car Challenge with a 3.8-litre Mark II.
In 1967, the Mark II was renamed in accordance with the engine size with the Jaguar 240 and Jaguar 340. Between 1959 and 1967, 83,980 Mark II Jaguar cars were produced, with another 7,246 240 and 340 models built between 1967 and 1969.
With the Mark II, there were a number of changes made to the design. Internally, there was a greatly improved instrument layout for the SMITHS speedometer, tachometer and other gauges. This layout would become standard for all Jaguar cars until the XJ series II in 1973.
In 1987, Detective Inspector Endeavour Morse appeared on British television for the first time. Morse was a gruff, classical music loving, very British policeman, played brilliantly by the late John Thaw. Fittingly, he drove an equally British Jaguar Mark II around the streets of Oxford as he solved countless mysterious cases of murder and theft.
The appearance of the classic Jaguar Mark II on television introduced a whole new generation to a beautifully designed car.
The Jaguar Mark II has remained a firm favourite of classic car enthusiasts, despite the ever-increasing value (£50k to £96k prices are not uncommon). It is widely regarded as one of the best produced by Jaguar.
Improvements have been made by the current owner, including: a vehicle service and being fitted with new filters, oil pressure checked with engine hot and cold running, MOT, wax oil treatment to the complete underbody, installation of genuine Jaguar Mark 2 steering wheel, installation of front seat belts, door mirrors, front windscreen wiper blades and Scorpion Tracker unit. Door locking mechanism has been adjusted. Re-fitted with new sealing washers. Gutter trim to body has been secured. Removed bonnet, cylinder head, drained cooling system, heater matrix pipe, rearmost exhaust manifold, oil feed pipe to camshaft, pressure tested pipe. The vehicle has also had the installation of an ‘of the period’ HMV Radio 500T with modern internals, speakers, aerials and Bluetooth.
Includes photographic history of restoration 17/04/2004 – 09/07/2008. With original Mark II handbook. Some previous Mots and various invoices. Detailed parts invoice from July 2006. Sales receipt for the car dated 1990 for the sum of £9,500. Production record trace certificate number 24577 dates 10/11/2004.